Friday, February 3, 2012

Adelaide's Room

Probably four months ago, we converted the guest room into Adelaide's room.  The set up changes month to month, but I've finally gotten it to a place I like now.... I think.  So I took some photos and before I did I thought, oh I should put the pretty flowery blanket and matching pillows down and put the cool headboard up so this photo ends up on everyone's pinterest across the country.  But then I realized I should keep it real. ;)  I at least tidied up a bit first... here is what we got...
You can see baby over by the basket by her bed... she loves rubbing her hand up and down the wicker.  Babies love the most random things.  

We have a queen sized mattress on the floor.  I got the idea from someone who introduced me to Montessori style nurseries. (Click on the link to learn more)

I believe feeding at night time is very good for baby health so I feed her 2-3 times (on her cue) through out her 10-12 hour night sleep.  I end up in the bed with her for probably half the night...I fall asleep while feeding her and she falls asleep while eating!  When we have house guests, we allow them to stay in our room and Chris and I both sleep in there with her.  We're not a full-time, year-around, co-sleeping family.  We're not against it, but just find it better for us personally not to do it all the time. 

Since she is a crawler and roller now, I've started lining the bed with pillows at night so that if she rolls she doesn't roll off and bonk her head.  Its not life threatening if she does, but no one wants to wake up to a thud on the head!  I also have the video monitor so I usually know when she starts rolling away.  As she gets older we will come up with new ideas as we need to. 

I often have a few layers of blankets on the bed so that if she spits up in the middle of the night (she has some major spitting up messes sometimes) I can just pull off one layer without having to change the sheets completely in the middle of the night.  

Using a mattress with regular sheets and blankets should be done with caution from what I hear.  Our baby is able to roll around on her own and sit up with no problem so we don't have to worry about some of the things that you have to worry about with much younger babies or less developed babies... I guess.  I just thought it'd be responsible for me to mention that.  Do the proper research to see if this is right for you.  Or ask me, I'd be glad to help you talk it through.
The closets in our house have those folding out doors that always seem to get off track and they take up unneccisary space... so I just took them down and threw 'em in the attic!  No more hiding things in the closets, but I like feeling like there is just a tad bit more open space.  I was able to put a piece of furniture in there (where I keep her cloth diapers) and her little potty!  Its like she has her own bathroom.  

Well let me stop being so wordy and just show you the rest in pictures:
Top of the chest of drawers.  I got them and her
whole bedroom set off of Craigslist!  


Matryoshka doll my mom brought home from
Eastern Europe back in 2008.

Whimsical little lamp my brother gave me for Christmas back when we were in college.
To the left of the lamp is the video monitor.

A hat Chris wore as a baby, a piggy bank from Chris' mom,
and a sweet bedtime book with matching rabbit.

What is that purple thing?
A normal bean bag chair?
No!  It's a stuffed animal holder!  She has so many, now we have a place to put them all.
It also doubles as a nice chair or pillow.

The butterfly and the elephant were decorations from a shower someone gave me.
I just glued on some ribbon from a gift and they became bow holders!

Ziplock containers make good dividers for small things in the drawers.

Long sleeve shirts on one side, Long sleeved onesies on the other.

Short sleeved shirts on one side short sleeved onesies on the other. 

And on the bottom drawer all the pants I rarely put on her.  Life is too short to mess with baby pants!  I usually only put them on for photo ops and special occasions.  Leg warmers keep her legs warm the rest of the time.

During my photo shoot she decided to stand up!  What a strong baby!

Box of books... I bet I need to move those so she doesn't tare them up when she starts crawling in that direction.
Basket of blocks I move around the house depending on where we are.

Sweet rocking chair with a horse rocking on it... Rocking horse?

Oh here is a picture of that wire drawer set by the potty....  that little green thing is a potty when you lift the lid.
I also keep some cleaning supplies hanging at the top of the drawers for a quick clean up.
So that was Adelaide's room as it is today!  It will likely change by next month but I like it how it is for now :)

1 comment:

  1. Great find on the furniture items! It's neat to see how someone else is set up. :) Sally <><

    ReplyDelete